New ID5 Owner - Introduction & Charge Distance Guidance

New to the Volkswagen ID.5 Forums? Introduce yourself here
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Hi all, am a complete newbie at all things EV - just taken delivery of ID.5 Pro (Style Trim) last month.

I really love the car but am struggling to get my head around charge level versus available miles and was hoping to get some advice and guidance here.

I know various factors affect the battery and performance so alot of this is to help set my expectations more than anything else. I am planning a long drive in the summer (600 mile round trip) so doing my homework at the moment

I decided to start from 100% charge for my measurements (although know 80% is the recommended norm) so I could see the max amount of miles in this climate

In this case 100% charge shows 296 miles (as I sat in the driveway)
4 mile round-trip to dentist and back today on A-roads (about 15 mins in traffic)
Back in the drive it shows 97% charge and 258 miles

As I switched the id.5 off I looked again at the miles and it had jumped back up to 282 miles. I know the battery is doing alot of work (such as if the air con is on or anything else for that matter)

This is where I have my dilemma though: for the short drives its not so much of a problem but how can you plan for stops along the way on a long journey based on expected miles travelled?

Anyone else experienced the same head-scratcher?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Vander

Post by Vander »

Hi Steve

Firstly, congratulations on your new car!

Don’t get too hung up on the dreaded “Guess-o-Meter”. It seems to calculate the range based on your most recent driving, vehicle settings and temperatures of battery and ambient air, and these will naturally change from drive to drive. The accuracy of the GOM improves as the journey progresses.

Your 296 miles predicted on the driveway isn’t going to happen in these temperatures, that would mean nearly 4 miles/kWh. (you might get close to this in summer). Expect 3 to 3.5 in colder conditions and you won’t be far wrong for a longer journey. That would mean a total endurance of 230 – 270 miles (battery full – battery empty).

As you’ve already seen, shorter journeys eat up the kWh quicker. Perhaps only 2.7 mi/kwh if you’ve got the heating on.

With ICE cars you fill and use fuel in a sawtooth–like manner, but with your EV you need to think a little differently, especially on longer journeys. There’s a charging curve meaning that charging gets slower as the battery nears 100%. The last bit from 80-100% might take as long as the charge from 20-80%. So you might want to factor this into your route planning. More stops, but quicker ones.

A few general points will help you, which I’m sure you’ll already know:-

-The 80% max charge is only a guide, for the long term health of the battery. Don’t be afraid to charge to 100% just before your long drive.

- You’re absolutely right to plan well beforehand - Get an app such as ZapMap or ABRP on your phone to help you find charging destinations – I use ZapMap and find it much more reliable than the in-car mapping.

-Have a Plan B in case your planned chargers are busy or out of service. For the same reason, aim for charging sites with several charging points, to increase your chances of a quick top-up.

-On the journey, if your consumption is higher than expected, slow down! You’ll get a big improvement dropping from 70mph to 60mph. You can also reduce the heating/AC to help eke out power.

-If you have one, sling your granny charger in the boot before you set off. You’d be surprised how easy it can be to cadge a few miles if you’re desperate for charge!

-Remember that your car’s internal AC charger can only accept 11kW, even though you might be at a 22kW charge point. More rapid DC chargers don’t have this limitation.

Finally, when at a charge point, sometimes everything doesn’t work right first time. If this happens to you, try it again. Make sure both ends of the cable are well seated in their sockets. Check you’re doing things in the right order. Some providers can be sticklers for this, others not so much.

Your holiday is still a little way off, and you will quickly learn your car's feeding habits before then. Enjoy!!

V
ID5 Pro Performance in Blue Dusk
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Thanks Vander, loads of really helpful information there. I have a much shorter trip on Thursday that’s a 100 mile round trip but the destination has a car park full of chargers so I’ll take advantage of that for the return journey.
I must admit to being taken by surprise at the 11Kw charging threshold on AC but my internet trawling helped me understand that was more common than I’d thought. Rapid charging appears to be the only sensible option on a long trip but I’ve yet to be able to use one to experience how fast the car charges for myself.

I’m so pleased we have gone fully electric vehicle now though and I guess I’ll get the hang of this the more I do it. What I am keen to avoid is the family drive taking forever as we try to get enough charge to make it to the next hop. Still life’s all about the adventure eh? 😀