BP Pulse charging station

New to the Volkswagen ID.5 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pickled Egg

Post by Pickled Egg »

Hi all, I collected my ID5 Style Pro Performance last Friday and absolutely love it. Not quite sure where some of the poor reviews I read online have come from. Anyway - I visited a shopping centre today and tried charging on a BP Pulse station. Around 3 hours later, arrived back at the car and selected stop charging on the BP App and it charged me £4.96, yet it had not charged the car at all. Has anyone else had this and if so - what did I do wrong? I was at 45% anyway so it didn’t matter - I was just testing the water, however, at some point I will need to use one and it could have caused me a real problem. I have reported it to BP Pulse via email. Thanks in advance!

Vander

Post by Vander »

Hi Pickled

Firstly, congrats on your new car, glad you like it, and I share your love of the car!

Personally, I have so far avoided BP Pulse due only to mixed experience by others (Google "BP Pulse Reviews"), but a couple of things are worth checking:-

You haven't mentioned which method you've used to access BP Pulse... Are you a subscriber, or just registered and using the App? Registered users need to top up with £5 to start....? This page https://network.bppulse.co.uk/pricing/ gives some details. Maybe the app gives some info about what the £4.96 charge was for? Look for history in the account section of the app.

There's an "overstay" fee for the higher-powered chargers, this is quite common, not just with BP Pulse, and encourages people to vacate once their vehicle is charged.

Also, some chargers, such as those (non-BP) near me, make a charge (a few pence) per minute of use on top of the actual electricity used. Could that be the case for you?

Please post back with details of BP's reply, including why you were charged(£) as well as why your car wasn't charged(kWh).... Also let us know your likes and any dislikes of the car.

V
ID5 Pro Performance in Blue Dusk
Pickled Egg

Post by Pickled Egg »

Hi Vander, I used it as a registered user, not subscriber. I added £10 credit (fortunately, no more). According to the App, it was charging for 01.56:17 at a rate of £0.38 kWh - totalling £4.96. I’ve read that people avoid BP Pulse chargers - however, at some point when on a long journey, I may need one. I have a pod point at home. I never realised the public charging points were so complicated? Each requiring a different app etc…