Battery not showing full charge

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.5
gordonmcclelland

Post by gordonmcclelland »

Hi all, looking for advice and suggestions. I have the id5 GTX and have only had it a couple of months. The issue is the charge not reading correctly on the dash. Long story short, the data states 314 miles on a full charge, now I know thats just what they use for advertising etc and how the car is driven, temperatures etc etc. But, my issue is this, when I fully charge the car it only shows 240 miles, this has 'apparently' been checked by the supplying dealer (who can't check the battery) and it was sent to a high voltage test centre in Edinburgh to be checked and after they kept it for 3 weeks said they can't find a fault.

when I got it back they stated it had gone up to 295 miles on a full charge but when i got in it, it was back to 240.

If the car only does 240 miles then I can live with it but ideally the mileage should read over 300 at least on a full charge and that's what I've been trying to say to the dealer over and over again, to the extent I have to escalate it even though they have repeatedly said there's nothing wrong with it.

essentially all I want the car to do is after it's fully charged, is show over 300 miles. Once I drive it I know it's going to drop down but this isn't happening.

Does anyone else have any similar issue or have any suggestions.

Cheers

swingman

Post by swingman »

I have the PRO model, purchased on 1st July. I also had similar issue and others as well. After complaining since took delivery I finally managed book my car in yesterday and it was with them today as well. They said they will charge it overnight and also check all system etc as I am also not happy with the breaking as its too spongy and take too long to bring it down. Also had issues with autonomous breaking system as I get warning with it tries to stop under ACC and I had to apply emergency breaking. Also sat-nav is very iffy. When I went to pick it up this evening I was told all OK and no fault. To cut the story short, they didn't even bother to charge or did any meaningful test drive. Then they said they checked it on the computer and every thing is fine.

By the way mine says 100% and only range of 300miles. In driving I only get about 260mile.

I was very angry they kept my car for two days and didn't. bother to do anything except to hook to a computer (who knows) and that's. it. I told them they were lying and rude. For your information they Marshall Motors in South Oxfordshire. Just waste of my time. They can't be bothered as long as they get fat commission.
FractalWind

Post by FractalWind »

I have my ID 5 Pro Performance since last November and only managed to get 300 miles out of it in summer when the temperature was 22-24C and didn't touch motorways so 50mph tops. As soon as you load the kids, wife and dog, you won't do anything close to 300. Our longest motorway drive was around 250 miles in summer. During winter, it was only showing 180miles on 80% (we keep it on 80% max unless we know we have to drive long). When you keep an eye on standing consumption, it uses 4-6kwh to heat the car and the the battery. What helped is to schedule pre-heat for school run times so the car was drawing power from the charger for 30 min before drive; this way the car was nice and cosy and the battery was pre-heated.

Edit: Apparently the battery needs to be heated to 13C in winter to perform and reaches max potential over 18-20C. As soon as temp drops below 18C, range disappears. Heat pump helps in winter but it is added weight in summer :S
swingman

Post by swingman »

I have now done just over 2000 miles. The average rang is about 280 miles. I also noticed the efficiency drops between 80 and 100%. So far the ambient temperature is around 20 C so haven't experienced the drop due to cold weather.

Another thing I noticed dying my summer trip to Belgium I charged my car on supper chargers. I used two of them one rated 130 and the other 150kWh. In both instances my car only managed between 65 and 67 kWh. Did any of had experience with using super chargers and the outcome?
FractalWind

Post by FractalWind »

@swingman

We took the car on a 2 weeks trip to France, Belgium, Germany and Austria, and charged it on Ionity chargers only. When we charged from 8%, it was taking 140kwh peak but significantly slowed down once it hit 80%. It charged from 8% to 100% in 46 minutes according to Tronity. If started to charge when the battery was over 50%, it was only drawing 40-50kwh so we planned charging under 20%, comically it charges faster to 100% from 10% than from 50%.
This was before version 3.2 was installed (was on 3.0), haven't used fast chargers since. In UK, we are usually using Osprey or Ionity as they are compatible with the WeCharge card.