iD.5 GTX Delivery

New to the Volkswagen ID.5 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Maltese Electron

Post by Maltese Electron »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so this is an intro and a question at same time. I reside in Malta and placed my order for an iD.5 GTX in December 2021. Yes, a year ago this week to be exact. We have still no delivery date, not even a production timeframe to go by. I have just been offered to cancel my order with full deposit refund and this has become somewhat unsettling to say the least. I am too much into this car now and frankly, delivery times for anything else may also be a leap into the unknown. From what I could understand this delivery may take a further six to nine months for the first iD.5 GTX to hit our Maltese shores. Reasons for this delay have been various and common with most other brands, however locally, VW and Audi see to be the worst off.

So my question is simple and as follows. You proud iD5 GTX owners who by know have hands on experience with your own car, is it worth waiting some further nine months on top of the year already passed? Given the same situation I am in, would you take back your deposit and move on to something els, non VW?

Thanks.

stewhite

Post by stewhite »

Hi Maltese Electron. This is difficult to say, especially when you've waited so long but I think that you really need to think what you are after in your next car. I've owned an ID4 Max, an ID4 Family (Bit more basic) and the current GTX ID5. My wife owned an ID3 for six months but has recently returned to ICE, so we've had a fair bit of experience with the VW ID Brand. The main problem by far is the software / entertainment systems including the ID App, which are just not fit for purpose. They are getting better but VW is basically using us all as guinea pigs. From my personal opinion and as I've documented previously I do think that the quality of the interior product is a bit low rent. In fact some cars at half the price feel nicer inside, although that's relevant to all VW products presently. I think that I was hoping for something that felt special and it frankly doesn't. The seats in particular aren't as nice as a golf GTI that costs £20K less in the UK. In fact the interior is basically lifted out of any ID product with a few red touches. The GTX is noticeably quicker than the 200 bhp models but it's not a sports car so I question whether it's worth the extra cost. The four wheel drive is a boon in icy conditions but I'm not sure how relevant that is in Malta but it does come at the cost of being less efficient and I suppose that is the main thing for me. I'm selling mine (in fact it's waiting to be collected) and I'm going back to petrol but if I were to go back to electric it wouldn't be a VW product.
Maltese Electron

Thanks for such a detailed reply. Couldn’t have gotten a more experienced reply. Yes, I have noticed such interior and software issues on locally available iD.4, practically identical to what is expected on an iD.5.

I’ll give it till end of January, if situation remains same, I will move on to Nissan or Ford. Not that they are better at after sales or delivery dates, but you can see the money on the product’s interior finish. Thanks.
stewhite

Post by stewhite »

I don't want you thinking it's a bad car because it isn't. Fundamentally it is big, fairly comfortable and can be economical in the right circumstances. Winter is never best for EVs whatever the make it's just that VW seems to have wanted to quickly recoup their losses from Dieselgate by producing a good car with very average materials and very, very little flair yet charge premium money. I think for the price there are more compelling EVs tbh.
Maltese Electron

Thanks, in full agreement with your commitment.