/// ID.5 GTX ///

New to the Volkswagen ID.5 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Vander

Post by Vander »

The car looks great, and I'm glad you like the drive - you owe Mrs windshear a big thank you for pushing you to get the car!!

I love the colour, and the red detailing inside is really sporty. I guess you're on software 3.2? Would be great to hear feedback on that if you are.

Any issues with the wheel size change? does it affect your speedometer, or other systems?

Enjoy the car, and many safe kms for you both.

V
ID5 Pro Performance in Blue Dusk

windshear

Post by windshear »

Vander wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:41 am
The car looks great, and I'm glad you like the drive - you owe Mrs windshear a big thank you for pushing you to get the car!!

I love the colour, and the red detailing inside is really sporty. I guess you're on software 3.2? Would be great to hear feedback on that if you are.

Any issues with the wheel size change? does it affect your speedometer, or other systems?

Enjoy the car, and many safe kms for you both.

V
Thank you! I already did thank you Mrs.windshear after the first kms :)

And I can confirm that the car runs on 3.2.0 atm.
I am not sure about the wheel size change as I do not have any clue how accurate the car is with the original summer tires but I will keep an eye on and will report back.
windshear

Post by windshear »

Having great experience with the car overall after 10 days and 850km later.
The only downside I can tell is with the current ID software(3.2) the fast charging capacity is restricted due to the changed way of handling HV battery heating.
The battery is always too cold to receive acceptable power of fast charging - it is around 50kW after almost 1,5 hours 150 km driving in 0 degrees.
When it is -6 I am down to 23kW charging, connected to 350kW Ionity. This is absolutely not acceptable.
There should be "button" or "navigate to Ionity" should initiate battery heating to make sure when you connect to the charger you get acceptable power output ( at least more than or equal to 100kW) when SOC is below 20%.
Hopefully with a newer version it will be better - but when this will be available we have no clue. Not this winter anyway I am afraid.

I am also observing the efficiency of the heat pump as well.
With ambient temp around 0 to +2 it draws around 1.4-1.9 kW to maintain pre-heated cabin at 21 degrees set temperature.
With ambient temp around -5 to -7 it draws around 2.2-2.4 kW to maintain pre-heated cabin at 20 degrees set temperature.

I beleive this is 20 to 30% higher than what I expected - but well maybe a PTC heater in the background for traction batteries are on going perhaps which also draws some.

Anyway, I am pretty happy will try to report back as soon as I have more exiting experiences.

Cheers,

IMG-5793.jpg

IMG-5833.jpg

stewhite

Post by stewhite »

Hi Windshear, nice to see you have some mileage on the car now. As a GTX owner myself I wouldn't mind what your thoughts are on quality of the interior and the infuriating software (in particular the voice assistance)? From my personal point of view I'm disappointed that the interior feels as cheap as it does (certainly cheaper than my wife's car that cost a little over half the price of this) makes do with seats that appear very basic affairs, even when compared to other cheaper sporty cars in VWs' own line up. I'm also a little disappointed with the consumption compared to my other ev's, although I do accept its getting colder.

It's sad to see VWs' decline in terms of quality. I remember when my wife bought her first VW Golf GTI. We looked at the BMW and were swayed towards the golf because of the better quality, now every BMW looks like they are from two or three classes above. I'm seriously thinking of ditching for a Tiguan R, which still has the last generation entertainment which is easier to use. Sorry for the moan.
windshear

Post by windshear »

stewhite wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Hi Windshear, nice to see you have some mileage on the car now. As a GTX owner myself I wouldn't mind what your thoughts are on quality of the interior and the infuriating software (in particular the voice assistance)? From my personal point of view I'm disappointed that the interior feels as cheap as it does (certainly cheaper than my wife's car that cost a little over half the price of this) makes do with seats that appear very basic affairs, even when compared to other cheaper sporty cars in VWs' own line up. I'm also a little disappointed with the consumption compared to my other ev's, although I do accept its getting colder.

It's sad to see VWs' decline in terms of quality. I remember when my wife bought her first VW Golf GTI. We looked at the BMW and were swayed towards the golf because of the better quality, now every BMW looks like they are from two or three classes above. I'm seriously thinking of ditching for a Tiguan R, which still has the last generation entertainment which is easier to use. Sorry for the moan.
Yes, I do agree the material selection should have been better. But, the build quality feels much better than my 2020 Tiguan with better materials to behin with.
I will not be super critical about the quality of the materials in my first EV, after all I am looking forward to a sturdy powertrain that can handle Swedish winter, and so far - apart from the fast charging - feels good with ID5. But, time will tell more. Let’s see.

I am also happy to hear what other owners are experiencing hence this forum. Feel free to write any time.
windshear

Post by windshear »

Hello fellow ID5 users,

I would like to share my recent 900km trip around the Swedish Mountains for a skiing holiday with my ID5.

On Wednesday morning, we left home with ID5 GTX, with 92% SoC. I actually set the departure time with charging and climatization with 100% battery but somehow the vehicle was only at 92% at the departure time.
This might be due to load balancing between 6-9 am in the morning on a working day and hence the vehicle was not able to know it will not get 11kW when it needed, which is understandable.
The weather for the last week was very cold here in Stockholm, around -9 to -15 C.
The plan is to take around 450 km and around 6 hours of driving with the weather between -5 to -20 degrees en route, with climbs and downhill sections - wet, snowy and icy roads.

After 248km and 3 hours and 9 minutes later, we arrived our first charging stop for the day with 14% SoC. Mcdonald's Falun with Recharge stations using Kempower 150kW chargers. I have the We Charge Plus agreement and hence it should give me a rate of 3,40 kr/kWh. But, unfortunately, neither We Charge card nor We Charge app was recognised by the charger, hence I had to charge it as a drop in customer with a rate of 8,99 kr/kWh. Expensive but well needed as there were not any other HPChargers within the range.

IMG-5873.jpg

At first the charging started at 58kW, then ramped up to 80kW in 17 minutes. We stayed there until the SoC became 59% and we head back to the road and to our second and final charge for the trip.

IMG-5875.PNG

After 138 km later, we arrived at VW dealer at Mora, who has Delta 100kW chargers. We stayed there 29 minutes and reached 71% SoC - not needed that much but we had some snacks and the car was already charged. This time the charging speed was better - started around 68kW and ramped up to 90kW and then dropped to 56kW at 71% when I disconnected.

IMG-5876.jpg

IMG-5879.jpg

Couple of hours later we arrived the ski lodge hotel at Hundfjället where they have a heated garage with 11kW AC Mer chargers with We Charge agreement.
We charged back to 100%, ready for the return trip, 3 nights later.
The consumption was, I beleive, very good - with very extreme minus temperatures.

IMG-5880.jpg

IMG-5978.jpg

And, yesterday on the way back to home, we again stopped two times. First at Vw dealership at Ludvika, again with Delta chargers, the weather was -18 degrees and even after 3 hours driving, the charging started with 23kW(at 35% SoC), ramped up to 50kW at 55%. Then I disconnected and head south east towards Eskilstuna for the second and final stop for the return trip with ABB E.On chargers, started charging at 98kW(at 10% SoC), ramped upto 101kW and slowed down gradually with the SoC increasing and we left the charger with 60% at 80kW and finally arrived home.

IMG-5997.jpg

IMG-5998.jpg

This was the first trip for me with an EV, and probably the longest one I will ever take in Winter. With 25-30 minutes x 2 charging stops - it is well managed and comfortable ride. I never think going back to ICE vehicle.
The heating comfort is far superior with the ID.5 with Heatpump - and possibly similar with other EVs to any other ICE vehicle at -20. The option to leave the vehicle with "Air Condition Now" gives 30 minutes continues climate running when you leave the vehicle. This should possible be adjustable between 10 to 120 minutes if you plan to leave your car for a longer or shorter period of time for your need.

The only problem I can see again is the lack of battery pre-heating option before HPC session. I heard VW is planning to introduce this but let's see. Fingers crossed.

And here is the best two photos of all with the mountains behind where ID.5 GTX is on the snowy road enjoing the sun shine :)

IMG-0834.jpg

IMG-5957.jpg

stewhite

Post by stewhite »

Great article windshear. Thank you and the last two images are wonderful.
punky

Post by punky »

windshear wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:45 pm
Hello dear forum members,

I am from Stockholm, Sweden and currently running on a diesel Tiguan, but last week ordered ID.5 GTX Stonewashed blue with some extras and the preliminary production week is week27, 2022. The car is expexted to be delivered around week 32 if everything goes accordingly. That means a total waiting time of just over 7 months.

Let’s see how it goes, I will try to update the issue as I get more info from either the salesman or my Volkswagen app.

Cheers!

EDIT:

Hello ID5 members,
Vander wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:29 pm
So, windshear,.......................?!!!

pics please!!
@Vander, I was busy with the car, drove the car for 450km during the weekend with my wife, who pushed me to get an EV car.

Anyway, I am here to share what has happened :)

On 25/11, I have picked up my car from the dealer.
The first time I sit in the car, I quite enjoyed and got exited.
Although I have sat on ID4s and ID5s in the showroom many times :), this felt different, i a better way :)

The first time I put my foot on the accelerator pedal I felt, "oh hoh hoh" like Santa :)

The steering feels different, heavy - spongy but comfortable and feels stable.
The suspension on 19" winter wheels (with Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 SUV tires) feels definately more comfortable than my Tiguan.
The body/chassis - the whole vehicle feels very well build.
I will be interested to test on 20" summer wheels but that comes around April, 5 months later.

During the first 450km, I drove 170km on highway - max 120km/h speed - the rest is on 80-100 and of course in city traffic. The outside temperature is between 0 to +2 celcius degrees the whole time.

I was able to test my Halo wallbox(which is currently running at 3.7kW with 16A - 1phase connection) and 11kW at a mall, as weel as IONITY Plug&Charge.
For some reason the IONITY was only giving 53 kW charging speed(at 17% SOC) after 80km highway run. Maybe the battery was cold, maybe the charger was bad - I am not sure - but it was not 135kW :(

The heatpump works magic, maybe the PTC heater also helps I am not sure - but the car heats up very fast when you start driving - which is very positive in Sweden, during winter.

Well, as a first impression, I am very satisfied with the vehicle and how it performs. Well above my expectation.
Hi mate,

I hope you are still enjoying your ID5 :)

I am really interested in electric cars but financially can't afford to buy one for a while. I am travelling to Sweden from the UK and need to rent a car.Europcar are doing ID5s really cheap. So i'm tempted to rent one.

I have never charged an EV before. I will be driving around 650-700km so will need to charge a couple of times and staying at campsites with no chargers. How easy is it to charge? I heard that every public charging place uses a phone app which can be buggy and wonder if I have to worry about different port types, etc.

I think on the biggest journey days it will be about 250km, how long would that take to charge once a day to keep it topped up, do you think? Or just try and charge when near empty

I appreciate all feedback, thanks :)