Serendipity

New to the Volkswagen ID.5 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Vander

Post by Vander »

Hi all

I've hastily joined this forum having been a member of the ID4 one.

I've had a 4 on order since November and had a nice surpise yesterday when my dealer offered me first refusal on a Pro Performance Style ID5 which was unexpectedly allocated to them.

I've acceped and hope to pick the car up next week just prior to a week's holiday in Scotland.

It's our first EV so a steep learning curve - wish me luck!

V
ID5 Pro Performance in Blue Dusk

windshear

Post by windshear »

Good luck with the new EV world.

And enjoy your new ID5.

Post some pictures once you have the car :)
Vander

Post by Vander »

........So this beauty arrived at the dealer's first thing this morning.

I'm really hoping they can turn the PDI around quickly enough that we can take it tomorrow to Scotland........

ID5-4.jpg

ID5-2.jpg

ID5-3.jpg

ID5-1.jpg

windshear

Post by windshear »

Looks really nice! Enjoy :D The blue exterior with brown interior fits perfectly with grey seat. Really a dream, classy combo!
Gives me BMW vibes :)
windshear

Post by windshear »

Hi @Vander,

How is it going with the car? Can you give us some feedback about the feeling/experiences you have it with for us waiting our delivery can enjoy :)
Vander

Post by Vander »

We are totally loving the ID5 - the driving experience is second to none - the car feels properly planted on the road and totally at ease with the rural roads around here, as well as more main roads and dual carriageways. Seats are really comfortable, and climate control works well. Audio quality is amazing.

The car came with 3.0 software but I've still received an email inviting me to have it updated [to 2.4 !!] so good to know that VW communications are at their usual standard.

We didn't get to take it to Scotland in July but are back up there in a few weeks so will get to see what the longer journey experience is like.

The Type 2 charging cable is included, and our dealer kindly threw in a "granny" cable on request - we use this for most of our driveway charging, which is slow (7mph) but fine for our needs. I have signed up to Chargeplace Scotland (in anticipation) and Connected Kerb as our local council has partnered with them for chargers in carpark nearby. This system allows you to link any RFID device (I've used my Chargeplace Scotland card) so charging is just a swipe and go.

A few observations, in no particular order:-

-Matrix headlights are awesome - I think they're standard across the range. Need to be aware of dazzling pedestrians on dark roads, though.

-The horn is truly pathetic for such a premium car. I tooted at a squirrel in the road and I swear it actually laughed at me.

-3.0 software seems to be not too laggy, given reports from users with earlier versions, but some of the ergonomics are plain bonkers, such as the decision to use two electric window buttons rater than 4. Certain functions in the infotainment should definitely have quick access buttons rather than having to scroll menus.

-Voice recognition isn't too bad, though far too often ordinary conversation with a passenger is mistaken for the "wake phrase", requiring cancellation.

-The car feels BIG! - it's only 10mm wider than my old 5008 but it feels huge, especially in narrow roads with parked cars. The boot isn't as capacious as I expected, but the dogs are happy enough travelling in there.

-The Pro Perfomance motor is pleasingly nippy.

-Ours has park assist with memory, which works surprisingly well. Bay and parallel parking, though, are totally hopeless, in my experience.

- Ours also has "travel assist, so can steer itself when in cruise - this is very spooky! It's supposed to have auto lane change as well, but I haven't found a way to make that work.

-WeConnect.ID Android app - this has some poor reviews but I found it to be generally reliable, though I haven't tried any of the charging features. One issue is that the range shown on the app is often wrongly indicated ( always by a factor of 0.62, which coincides with a miles - km conversion). I don't know whether this error originates in the app, or is from the car itself.

- I'm averaging around 3.8 mi/kwh which equates to about 290 miles from 100% full, which isn't too bad, I think.

-I love the little lkight show you get as you approach the car, and that unlocking is automatic.

-I haven't found any way to add my partner as a user so that we each get our own settings and preferences. Others have had similar issues across the ID range.

Hope this helps. Is yours still on track for a Sept delivery, @Stewhite? And @Windshear, I hope your build date doesn't slip again.
Radhaz

Post by Radhaz »

Hi, Good looking car.

I should be getting mine end of November. I noticed there is no Travel Assist button on the sterring wheek (lower right), but you say you do have Travel Assist, how do you activate it..?

Only askingas Dealers don't seem to be able to give me a difinitive answer..

Jason.